See what other Builders have done with their Dual Sports Manxters
Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Manxter DualSport # DS-017 - EJ25 Subaru n/a

Postby Brad Connell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:54 pm

jsturtlebuggy

Re: Manxter DualSport # DS-017 - EJ25 Subaru n/a

Postby jsturtlebuggy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 pm

Some pictures of the frame. I have taken it apart to do some updating on it from the original build in 2008. I don't think it will ever be really finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joseph

Having fun with dune buggies since 1970

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:18 pm

sweet when you said you pulled it apart to do some stuff I didn't think you went that far. It is very interesting to see your skeleton without the body on. If you get a chance it would be a cool pic to see it with the Roll Cage sitting on it.

What updates do you have planed ?

jsturtlebuggy

Postby jsturtlebuggy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:21 pm

To get 12in of wheel travel in the front using 2 1/4in x 3/4in wider Wood Wheel Work trailing arms, I had to remake the upper shock mounts on the front subframe assembly made for the Manxter Dual Sport. I found they were not tall enough. Looking at and determining there was enough room in the pocket of the body to do this. I did have to do a little grinding on the body at the rear to clear the new shock towers. The original towers are made out of 1 1/4in tubing, I used 1in tubing since I what I had and could bend with the bender I have. I was able to leave part of the original shock tower on the beam and slip the 1in tubing inside of the 1 1/4in tubing using it as a sleeve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joseph

jsturtlebuggy

Postby jsturtlebuggy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 pm

When I first put the Manxter DS together the engine was a 2056cc Type IV engine. It was when I decided to go to something with more torque and horsepower the decision to go Subaru was the way to go for power, reliability, and better fuel economy. Installing a radiator is needed with the Subaru. I had looked at Mendeola setup with the way they mounted the radiator which seem a solid way to do it. Talking to Kevin at Mendeola and he said to go directly to Ron Davis Radiators for the one they had made for their cars. It is made to cool the 3.0L 6cylinder Subaru engine, it more than enough for the 2.5L non turbo engine. Now that I have the body off I can finish welding the brackets to rear subframe assembly. The side brackets are 1x3in tubing and the pocket radiator sets in is made form different sizes of flat stock material 1/8in thick welded together. I used a neoprene 1/2in thick for padding the mounts. The radiator expands to the sides with the way it is made, brackets are wider than side tanks to allow for the expansion. I did have to notch the body for the side bracket pieces to clear and trimming of the wing bottom side to clear radiator.
I copied what Mark Miller had did to his rear wing of adding a strut rod to each side to hold weight of wing and to level it out.
The orange chassis and the orange chassis with green body are Mendeola pictures posted on the web.
Joseph

jsturtlebuggy

Postby jsturtlebuggy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:56 pm

chassis with roll cage and front and rear bumper right side reduced size.jpg
chassis with roll cage and front and rear bumper right side reduced size.jpg
These are pictures of the steel parts of the chassis put together without the fiberglass.
Joseph

Return to “Manxter Dual Sports Builds”