Scott - Manxter 2+2 Subaru Powered.

From Mild to world check out the work we have been doing on others Meyers Manx Buggies.
Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Scott - Manxter 2+2 Subaru Powered.

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Scott's Manxter 2+2 has been around for a while and was originally built by Mendeola Motorsports. Scott and his buggy and recently completed the Sea to Sea Safari making it from San Diego to Nags head a total of 2766 miles. Before Scott even left he new his Manxter needed one major upgrade but decided to put it till after the run. You see when you have an 1800 LBS buggy running a 300 HP 6 Cylinder Subaru ( EZ30) then you really want to be doing less RPM than the 3600 odd it was doing at 60 - 70 MPH.

After doing some research and talking to a few people Scott was sold on the idea of a Subaru 5 Speed transmission fitted with a Subaru Gears reverse ring and pinion (http://www.subarugears.com). As luck would have it Turn Key Manx is the American supplier of the kits and is having transmissions fully rebuilt so we were able to provide everything that Scott would need. Not to mention making warranty a heap easier if he needs it.

With all that in mind Scott settled on a few additional items while his Manxter was in the shop and the scope of work we settled on is as follows:
  • Subaru 5 Speed Supply and Installation
  • Meyers Manx Australia Long Range Fuel (Gas) Tank supply and Installation
  • Supply and installation of Subaru In Tank EFI Fuel pump and tunnel mounted Fuel lines
  • Supply and installation of shortened torsion bars and flat end caps
  • 4 Wheel Alignment
  • Modified Quite Exhaust System
  • Tidy up of issues found and approved

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Re: Scott - Manxter 2+2 Subaru Powered.

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Due to the nature of the work being done Scott wasn't going to wait around for his car so it was delivered on his very cool fold up car trailer. Funnily enough it is colour coded to his buggy, hopefully not a sign of things to come.

After a quick walk around she was unloaded and driven into the Shop for a quick once over and confirmation of the work to be undertaken. Once that was done and the work sheet approved Scott kissed his Manxter good bye as next time he saw it she would be sitting a little fatter and have an extra gear, 15 gal fuel capacity and have less issues :roll:

By this time it was getting late so the Manxter had it shoes taken off before being tucked into bed.

When we have a new kid staying over for the first time we like to leave the night light on to help them feel warm and safe.

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:10 pm

After a good nights sleep it was time for the Manxter to get naked and begin the transformation.

First thing off was it's skirt, well two of them in fact also know as Vented Side pods.

Scott's Manxter has the side mounted radiators which Mendeola Designed. Funnily enough TKM have a kit being made at the moment so it was good to see what others had done first hand. The Mendeolla kit from all reports worked well but it could do with some more bling and refinement, something TKM hopes to add when their kit is released later this year.

Anyway with the pods off we could reposition it on the hoist better and take outs the power pack. The engine is a Subaru EZ30 6 Cylinder unit which has been very nicley dressed with carbon fiber styled components and plenty of bling. For anyone interested the dressed EZ30 wet weights in at 360 LBS as you see it ( Adapter, flywheel, clutch, water, oil, etc etc)

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 pm

With all that out the way it was time to find something to fill the hole .... hmmm now what can we use ?

I know ...

I just happen to have a fully rebuilt 758 Subaru 5 Speed with hydraulic clutch, 3.9 Subaru Gears R&P, modified nose cone and a set of Subaru Gears Mounts .. now what are the chances of that :roll:

Pretty ....

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm

So I lined it up. reckon it should fit straight in ..

Since I am old and stuff I decided to use a jack to lift the 85lbs trans into place, getting older makes me think a bit more about lifting heavy things.

Once on the jack I simply wheeled it in and pushed it into place ..

Clunk Clunk .... bag .. swear ... nope she don't fit, not even close.

That answers the 1st question many people ask, will a Subaru 5 Speed Transmission fit into a Manxter 2+2 without Modification ?

Answer - NO !!!

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Due to the design of the Subaru Transmission relative to the VW it sits 2" higher in the bell housing. This is a good thing as it means the engine will sit 2" higher than before which gives added ground clearance.

So what does it hit ?

- The Manxter rear cage lower support

- The bottom of the rear fiberglass Area ( behind seat )

- The inside of the frame horns

- The front section between the horns where the shift tube goes. Please note the white chalk is only the shift tube. When you take into account the side switch and casting you actually cut the entire RHS out all the way to the fork leg

- The front section between seats and above tunnel. Just below the Serial tag

PIC TO FOLLOW

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:49 pm

So how do we make it fit ?

Easy we modify :D

Step 1

Remove the Rear Lower support barwork. Meyers Manx will be offering these in modified form at a later stage so if you are going to run a Subaru Transmission you will get one that fits.

With that gone it is time to cut some glass.

As luck would have it Bruce has designed a Rear Subaru Transmission Hump which allows you to easily cover the hole you are about to cut and keep it looking neat. The design of it also takes into account that fact that you will end up with a clutch slave cylinder on top as well.

The hump is around $65 from Meyers Manx.

To fit it simply mark center

Then mark center on the rear section where it is going to go

Now simply line up the centers and mark it out.

Once you have marked it out, lay out tape on your marks using them as the edge.

Once you have finished with the tape, test fit to ensure it all looks fine.

I then remark the lines on the tape. Keep in mind you are marking the outside edge of the hump NOT THE CUT LINE. If you cut on this line you will be in all sorts of trouble.

With the mark in place you need to make another line at least 1/2" ( 12mm ) or more inside. For the purpose of this demonstration I will use electrical tape to mark it out, and then pen it in .

This is your CUT LINE.

To give it some prospective I will show you my cut template. This is mainly used as I cut a lot of these so it is a time saving device rather than a necessity . As this is a black buggy though I want to make sure people understand where we are cutting.

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:50 pm

With all that done, we have two lines .

The outside of the hump and the inside cut line.

Now as we are trying to cut it neatly the best option I have found is to cut 4 hole saw holes in it first. Then I can simply join them up with the angle grinder running a diamond blade which cuts the fiberglass like butter.

Size is optional I use a 1 1/2" unit.

With those cut, Mr Makita comes into play

After some loving from the Diamond Blade the section at the rear is removed

I then use various grades of sand paper to smooth it out and ensure a neat edge.

With that done it is time to prove to my Wife that I do in fact know how to use a Vacuum Cleaner :mrgreen:

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:14 pm

With the majority of the dust and debris out the way it is time to admire the result

Please note that the Rear Humps are only supplied in undercoat finish ( ie grey) if you want it a different colour you will have to paint it.

The end result is a nice near rear hump with plenty of room to not only install the Subaru Gears Transmission but also access everything you need such as clutch etc with ease.

Now that is done it is time to do the floor pan modifications.

If we look back up we will see the side of what will become the front mount was hitting on the seam. We marked it so now we simply cut it out

With that done we are still not ready to go, the above cut will anly allow us to lift the box up and clear the seam. From here we need to ba able to slid it forward as the shift tube goes into the tunnel section.

So we simply continue the cut from here all the way forward to the torsion housing.

If we do it less than this we run a very real risk of it being a PITA to get in and out and there is no benefit to doing it less.

Do the same on the other side.

You will notice it opens up. Once finished we will be seam welding all this up so there will be no issues.

With the box now being able to fit in we need to turn our attention to inside. As the shift rod will be going further to the right hand side we need to clear some space for it and the switches.

To do this I use an air hacksaw as it makes less sparks and fits inside the tunnel. Make sure you don't hit any cables or tubes.

First cut takes the front section off.

I now change blades to a longer one so I can roll it under the rear lip and get the rest out.

All done

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:04 pm

With the rear floor pan section cut we could test fit the transmission and trim some more fibreglass around the upper nose section of the box.

You can just see it when you look at the nose cone.

With the transmission sitting in place one of the SubaruGears front transmission mounts could be fitted. These are a great piece of design and make fitting the transmission and getting the alignment so much easier than is use to be. Simply bolt it into the factory Subaru mounting bosses and lift it into place, clip it onto the IRS Pivot boxes with some vice grips and tap it around with a hammer to get it perfect. Once you are happy drill the pivot boxes from below and bolt it up.

It clear everything, provides a rubber mounted front mount and comes complete with everything you need.

With there being a heap of other work to do to the Manxter I will leave the transmission mounting here at this point as I have ordered the mounts to suit the EZ30 so that I can fit the rear mount. Once get those I can confirm alignment and then button it all up./

Return to “Custom Work”