Brad's Manxter 2+2 - Canadian Blue - Offroad Build

You can tell a lot about a person by what they drive, or so they say. Anyway here are some of our own builds so you can see what we do in our spare time
Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Re: Brad's Manxter 2+2 - Canadian Blue - Offroad Build

Postby Brad Connell » Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

While that is going on I need to ensure that my manifold mods are done to suit my cooling system. Now with the Manxter I am doing something a little different so need to make a few changes.

Welding manifolds is always fund due to the casting variations but as long as it don't leak it will never be seen again.

Stock and the modified one

Once fitted this will allow me to run my cooling out the back of the engine which now the front of the engine and keep it going where I need it.

I have flipped them before but I needed the inlet and outlet on different sides for both my Manxter and a customers with side mounted radiators fitted.

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

well it is funny when I travel half way around the world and the best fitting parts I have had for my buggy build so far have come from guys in Brisbane Australia .... a big thanks has to go out to Paul at Steel Art Creations for the awesome stainless steel headers and exhaust and Dave "AKA Dyno" for the best shortened sump in the world. Many have tried to copy but since the early days when Dave and I designed them and Wes's cleaned it up in a CAD model no one has even come close to 85mm shorter than stock. Added to this will be the Subaru Transmission from Todd at Subaru Gears and the lowest part of my Buggy will be the rear forks ... now bad at all, thanks guys.

New pickup makes it fit :)

Access hole make getting it on possible

Headers make it complete

Add the reversed water manifold and we are almost ready to go ...

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 am

With the engine under way it was time to turn my attention to the next item on the todo list, seating capacity ... now the Manxter is a "4 seater " and referedr to as a 2+2 which is probably pretty accurate as it will fit two adults and 2 children. Aftre a recent trip out in my Dodge Ram with my daughter kicking the back of my seat I rapidly formed the opinion that seating room was not under rated and my Manxter needed a lot more than what it had.

I had already made modifications and was using a set of PRP Mini Boosters as my rear seats.

While these increased the safety over the fiberglass buckets and negated the need for boosters they did little for rear leg room. With my seat in the driving position I had about 5" between them. That is basically a closed fist.

So I began planning and thought, wouldn't it be nice if the seats could go further back, kids where not real tall so headroom wouldn't be an issue.

There looks to be plenty of room underneath to keep clear of the suspension etc.

So I guess the theory sounds solid, might have to look into it as an idea.

Or better still just cut it up and see what happens.

Seems to have worked, kids seem happy :D

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Mon May 19, 2014 8:22 am

Seems like a winner now I just need to get it wired and running

Brad Connell
Manx Admin

Postby Brad Connell » Mon May 19, 2014 8:29 am

So it is time to start focusing on some electrical distribution. When it comes to wiring I have always been fascinated with doing things a little different and since my intention with this build is to do it once and do it right I figure I better put some time into planning and getting everything laid out where I want it.

Even though this is a buggy I intend to do some road miles in it and being in SOCAL there is a better than average chance that some of those miles will be in the heat or day or cold of winter. With that in mind and the need to keep the wife and kids happy I made an interesting decision for a buggy build and decided that it needed to have air con and heating. I began my search as if I was going to do it I needed to have a fully integrated solution and not have it looking like an afterthought.

After doing a heap of research and checking out a lot of options I settled on a unit from Vintage Air, it was ordered and arrived a few days later as described. I added a few options such as dash vents, demister vents and a 4 dial controller. The unit is designed for a medium car and used servos to control the flow and rates. This was important as I didn't have a lot of room to play with and using cables would have been a pain in the butt.

Return to “What We drive”